Hey, everybody...
This school year begins, eh?
I moved into my apt. on Saturday evening. I live in a downstairs/basement apt with four other girls. While it's small and the ceiling is low, and while it has neither apt. computers or TV, it is homey. Or like a home. Not my home. But A home.
They moved the bookstore on campus so that it is now bigger and better and a little more like the one at BYU (though still not nearly as big). Today I was strolling through the isles, because one of my classes got out early, and I spied a book that has got to be my favorite children's book! I'm not exagerating! I loved, LOVED this book as a child and would check it out from the library often. It's called "The Eleventh Hour". And so of course I sat down in one of those comfy arm chairs they have about the store and read and looked. It is brimming with very intricatly detailed and colorful illustrations that, unlike many children's books, are very skillfully and masterfully done. And the great thing about it is that there are hidden clues and messages and tricks throughout the whole thing... mysteries that aren't super easy to solve, that take actually work and deduction and thought. Things even now are just as difficult as when I first read it. Maybe more. The whole thing is creative, vibrant, beautiful and well done. Even the writing is wonderful; the whole thing is written in a poetic rhyme that is seemless and fun. And the vocabulary of it isn't "child understanding" geered, necessarily. It's a book that children can understand but isn't pulled down to "their level". I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone, and I AM going to have a copy or two of it in my house. I think the artist/author has done another book too, but right now the title illudes me.
Everything for me is... going. Just going, like time. I tend to get very lonely or bored, but I try and knock myself out of it. Sunday I went and played games at Sarah's house, and that was nice. Very fun. And last night my roommates and I went and listened to a bunch of people preform and sing songs that they'd written on the guitar. Very informal, but fun.
Classes have started, and while I'm not taking many, none of them are going to be easy. At all! A lot of hard work. Especially the drawing class. Our first assignment: take a scaled down drawing and replicate it, exactly, back to it's origional size. With out using straight edges to help, or rulers. We can only use a ruler once, for the first line, and that's to help with the scale. Yeah.... "GULP!"
Oh, and I found out that one of my classes is only a block long, so I don't start it until mid-October. This means that I have no classes on Friday until then. YIPEE! (but I bet i'm going to end up working those hours. Oh well. Work's not bad.)
Well, I'm famished... I got up early to take a shower, so I didn't get breakfast, and it's almost time for lunch. My tummy calleth.
Audios, Amigos
1 comment:
Yay! A fun book! I've got to check it out! I LOOOOVE children's books!
I also had a lot of fun on Sunday too! We'll have to do it again sometime! :)
Post a Comment