Sunday, June 28, 2009

Midsummer's Night Blind Date

Alright people.

This week has been BUSY! I've had several big projects due, and whatnot. I also found out that I got A's on two of my most recent tests. HOORAY!

However, the most interesting news is about yesterday. Yesterday, when my roommates decided to set me up on a blind date with a guy that they didn't personally know. Ok, so they knew people who knew him, but they couldn't really tell me anything about him other than his name was John, and he had red hair. Ok...

Little to say I was QUITE nervous about this. They took it upon themselves to set me up whether I liked it or not and then sat back and watched me get all flustered and eventually resigned to the fact that there was no way that I was going to get out this. And not only was it a blind date, it was a semiformal dance! I haven't done much dancing in ages! Little to say there was a lot of learning going on throughout the night. But in the long run I had a lot of fun. John was really nice and a good dancer and obviously immensely patient with me and my untutored skills. I admit there was some things I probably did wrong during the night. Like whenever there was a stretch of silence I would start asking him questions. About his major, his family, his interests. I suppose I was nervous, and evidently I didn't know him very well, but I think now that having a few comfortable silences would have been much more... well, comfortable. People who know me know that I am a pro at inquisitions, and after a bit I started realizing that drilling him for information was not helping. Not one bit! But then I start apologizing. And soon shut up completely because that's even MORE annoying! Still, when we weren't standing or sitting in awkwardness it was a lot more relaxed and a lot more fun than I would have anticipated. By the end of the night I was getting better at the dances and we were laughing more. All seemed ok, until my skirt started to slip down. And while I wasn't afraid of it falling, it was a very long skirt (remember, semiformal) and I was beginning to trip on it. At one point he dipped me and I couldn't lean back very far because we were both standing on the hem of my skirt. So our two last dances were pretty much disasters. And it wasn't as if I was going to grab my skirt and hike it up. I tried to hold onto it like in those ballroom dancing poses, but that only helped part of the time.

In the end it was a lot of fun. The dance was called "A Midsummer's Night Dance" and indeed it was. The weather was beautiful and the sunset stunning. The moon was gorgeous and the whole evening was really perfect for a dance. The dance was outside and the air was warm and breezy (which the guys particularly appriciated). It was really nice.

There were of course a few times throughout the night when I opened my mouth and inserted my foot, but suprisingly enough they were few. That most of all made me happy. I didn't make a complete fool of myself. YAY!

Ok. It's late. I need sleep (though I inadvertently took a 3 hour nap today). Besides, me arm are still sore from all the twirling I did last night. (I've got knots on either bisep) So I'm going to call it a night now. Audios Amigos!

Cheers.

2 comments:

Smile It's Yummy! said...

WAHOO KATE! That sounds FUN! (the dance, not the "blind" part. ha!) Did I ever tell you that I ALMOST got set up on a blind date...shiver! (It was a very awkward weird situation that I will have to tell you someday)

Anyways...haven't talked to you in ages, hope you are doing great!

Chloe said...

BLIND DATE BLIND DATE BLIND DATE!!!!
I am way stoked for you!!! That's so awesome!

I'm glad you had fun. That dance sounded awesome. :D :D