Dear imaginary audience. You are my favorite kind of audience. I feel confident, wild, and scandalously open when I perform for you. (And as a bit of personal thought, I've always felt that perform should be spelled preform, except then it would get mixed up with forming before the fact. We say it, or at least I do, pr-e-form. With a short "e" and the "r" before it.)
And I also find myself saying "spell-t" rather than "spell-ed". Hmm...
But besides that.
Today was one of those days that I was so glad I'm a girl, and not the alternative. And yet, I found myself succumbing to some of the worst attributes my sex is infamous for. Let me explain.
My mother has been in Utah all week, helping my aunt do inventory of my late grandmother's house. So, while she's away, I'm home alone with my dad and little brother. Men! They NEVER put the toilet seat down. NEVER notice when they just toss things here or set things down there or make a complete disaster of things in general. And NEVER make a whole, healthy, un-greasy meal. At least these ones don't. Or at least not THIS week.
I'm rapidly coming up to my next period (sorry if that makes anyone blush, I don't really think it's a secret event or anything), and I know this from how I'm feeling. Hormones and what not. Rapid mood changes, feeling girly, craving milk (though I do that most of the time anyway), etc. Girls, you know what I mean. Well, being stuck home with two GUYS isn't the best situation for this to happen in. So tonight, when I knew Dad and Sam were going to be gone at Wed. night activities, I stopped at the library and checked out a couple of chick-flicks. Not the sappy sweet ones. I don't like those period. It's more like Sweet Home Alabama and, yes it's sticky, Sleepless in Seattle. I wanted girl silly time.
Well when I got home my dad was just finishing dinner. He hadn't bothered to make me anything. He just said, "I guess you can find something for yourself, I'm off. Please do the dishes".
I overreacted. Now I KNOW that now, and even though I still feel justified in feeling upset, I'm not proud of getting so angry. You see, I've done dishes, ALONE, every day since my mother left. The day I asked my father and brother to do them, they didn't. Let just let them stack up until dad asked ME to do them. I told him that that WAS NOT FAIR, and he started telling me that Sam brought in firewood today and so it was fair. Ok, no let's see here. I WORK all day. I have a JOB! And not only is Sam not working, but he's on spring break this week. He's sitting around, not doing ANYTHING all day. I asked him. I said, "So Sam, what did you do with yourself today?" "Nothing. Watched a movie." FAIR?!? I'm the one that straightens up all their messes this week! Last night I was on beck and call for my dad who needed help with his computer. Every five minutes it was, "Kate!" And he thinks that because Sam brought in firewood (and not even a whole wall's worth (you'd have to be here to know what that means)) it makes it fair for me to do the job he and Sam were suppose to do. Two days worth of dishes? I'm not home all day. The only dishes I use are one cup for breakfast and dinner dishes!
Well, the matter couldn't have been made any better by the fact that I was up 'til 3 a.m. this morning registering for classes. Sam had two friends over last night and when I finally got to bed I was kept up a while by their voices, echoing down the hallway. Roar.
Well I swore to him that I wasn't doing the dishes, not alone anyway, and he'd just have to deal with that. And of course he started ranting and raving about how I was living at home rent free and he just might start charging me if I didn't do what I was told. I told him, more like yelled at him, that he could bite me. I didn't care. So he stormed out.
At about eight o'clock I did the dishes.
Friday night the storms rolled into Kirksville. Friday night I watched the lighting shooting across the yard, but there wasn't much rain and or thunder. Saturday night it rained. It thundered. It STORMED. A beautiful, beautiful, full fledged storm. Sunday morning we awoke to discover that we weren't going to be making it to church. The creeks were flooded and the driveway crossing was uncrossable. By the time I managed to get out there with my camera it had died down a lot, but then church was over. It wasn't 'til the evening that the crossing got low enough to pass over anyhow. Sunday night it rained some more. Dad says that he thinks this winter-thaw part of the year is that uggliest of all, but I'd have to disagree. The rain and damp air saturated every color in the landscape. The grass was saffron gold, the trees deep, dark chocolate brown, the sky a pearly, blue-grey... and so on. It was BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE nature!
Everything I'm thinking in my head is filtered through a southern drawl right now. Sometimes I just do that. Think in a different accent. Makes me feel... multi-dimensional.
G'night.
1 comment:
Heheh...womanliness sucks. I wish I could chop off my womanly front and have other things happen and then I'd be a ken doll with a barbie doll figure. But that's life.
It's very unfair, your slave status. But obviously I don't need to restate that. :P
It's good that you have somewhere to rant, and people to read. Without that, it's possible that you'd die a half-second earlier than you would have otherwise.
But seriously-hooray for college. Hooray for cutting all ties. Hooray for solitude, for being responsible for oneself only. Hooray for leaving family behind.
Congrats on the minor change, also. You are officially cool. :D
Art major + English minor = Magic waiting to happen.
I'll buy all your books.
My word: berids
My sentence: Slowly she berids herself of the responsibilities that come with being at home.
Post a Comment