Hello. My name is Katrina. Your friendly neighborhood travel agency flier and website designer. I get paid to sit all day in front of a computer and drag around cheesy little images of people lazing at the Caribbean, touristing through Europe, and laughing at amusement parks. I have four papers taped across the vent in my little black hole of a room, but it still is about 65 degrees in there everyday. My rear-end usually falls asleep about two hours into work, but after about another two hours, I can't tell anymore. My eyes are bloodshot and exhausted everyday after work. And because the only entertainment I have is a set of earphones jammed deep into my skull all day, I usually have increasingly redundant songs running through my head over and over and over until I fall asleep and shut them out. Forget the earphones. I did once. That was a looooooooonnnggg day! I eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches which I bring in a crumpled paper sack that says "ACE Hardware". And from where I sit, day after day-like a statue with robotic arms, I stare at the pictures. But I can't drool anymore, because my mouth is so dry from boredom. Besides, my head hurts too much. I'm going crossed from staring at a computer too long. I tell myself, "It's only five more days!", but then I remember "That's 35 more hours." And I deflate again. Right there where I sit. Too exhausted to get away from my book and do something real with my last two hours of daylight. (slamming computer keys!!!!!!)
As such I reminisce the past week.
Ok. The rant is over. You can wake up again. I'll just sneak in a extra note and admit: The book is an interesting one.
But yes. Five more days left of work. I might try to get one (or two?) off to "pack". Well, I do need to pack! I'm not going to have to live off my sisters things this semester, so I need to make sure I have enough of mine own to survive.
No one wants to buy gladiolas at Farmers Market. The thought is depressing to me, because gladiolas are one of my very favorite flowers. But we still have vases around the house full of the ones that didn't sell from last week. I had to cut them. I had to lug them around, anxious over fragile petals, around in a dirty white bucket, before they were loaded into the back seat of a car and carted away early this morning. I had to dream about photographing them and then come to the realization that I'd have nothing to do with the images after. My cards are still full of wedding photos. I look at their porcelain faces and pout about, for no one wants to buy my gladiolas.
Cay sera sera. (sp?) Whatever will be, will be.
Cay sera sera. If only it'were so easy.
-Katrina Salt
August 24, 2008
No comments:
Post a Comment